The Story of the Regiments - After the War
AFTER THE WAR 1945-68
As is usual at the end of a war, drastic measures were taken to reduce the strength of the army and the number of units. Saddest blow of all was when, in the Spring of 1947, at Batu Pahat in Malaya the 1st Battalion (raised in 1689) was placed suspended animation. At first this was thought to be a temporary measure; but when later it seemed likely to be permanent the 2nd Battalion was renumbered 1st to carry on the traditions of both Battalions. Even more drastic reductions were made in the Territorial Army, with the result that of the famous Cameronian Battalions who fought in Burma, Sicily and Italy and marched across Europe from Normandy to the Baltic, only two remained the 1st and the 6/7th.
The 1st Battalion moved to Trieste in 1948, and after frontier duties there, to Hong Kong at the end of 1950. No sooner was it established in Hong Kong than the Battalion was sent to Malaya to assist in combating the Communist terrorists.
The Battalion during their three years in Malaya, accounted for a certain total of one hundred and twenty-six bandits, and probably many more, and the Cameronians built up a fine reputations for their fighting qualities under very difficult conditions.
After a year in the U.K. on its return from Malaya, the Battalion moved to Germany and became part of the famous 7th Armoured Division (Desert Rats). Late in 1956 it returned to Edinburgh to form part of the U.K. Reserve for the Suez operations. Early in 1957 the Battalion moved by air to Bahrain, where they had the task of maintaining order not only in Bahrain itself, but also in the Trucial Oman States. In the summer of 1957 a revolt broke out in the Trucial Oman, and at the request of the Sultan, British troops were sent to his help. The revolt was suppressed after a short campaign, carried out under very trying conditions of climate and terrain, and in which the Cameronians were the only Infantry Battalion to take part.
In May 1958, the Battalion was concentrated at Nairobi in Kenya to re-fit and re-train, but hardly had they started on this, than, as a result of the July revolt in Iraq, the Battalion was flown by air to Aden at very short notice. Subsequently it moved to Amman in Jordan, where with two Battalions of the Parachute Brigade if formed part of the British contingent sent to assist in the defence of that country.
When conditions in the Middle East became more stable, the British troops were withdrawn, and the Cameronians, embarking at Aqaba on the Red Sea, were the last troops to leave Jordan.
The Battalion returned home in March 1960, on completion of its three years overseas tour in the Middle East, moving on to Germany later that year. In 1964 the Battalion returned to Scotland. Two years later in 1966 it was sent to Aden returning after an extremely successful tour in 1967 to learn that in line with government plans to effect defence cuts the Battalion was to be disbanded. The final parade to mark the occasion was held on the 14th May 1968 at Castle Dangerous Douglas Dale. At that time of the twenty one years that had passed since 1947 the Battalion had only been stationed at home for about three years. This was a fine record of overseas service, probably unequalled by any other Regiment.
Any man should be proud to say I served in The Cameronians.
Pipe Band - Kenmuirs on an awa.
Military Band - Within a Mile of Edinboro Toun.
The Gathering of the Grahams.
Source: '300 Years of Service' published by the Regimental Trustees