Story of the Regiments - The 90th Perthshire Regiment
THE 90th PERTHSHIRE LIGHT INFANTRY
The Cameronians were the 26th Regiment of the line. In 1881 another
famous Scottish Regiment was linked with them as a 2nd Battalion.
This was the 90th, The Perthshire Light Infantry. The Perthshire
The badge now worn by the Regiment commemorates this union. The
star is the Douglas star, in honour of Lord Angus, the first Cameronian
Colonel. The bugle is the emblem of the 90th Perthshire Light Infantry.
Since 1881 the title of the Regiment has been The Cameronians
The Perthshire Light Infantry were raised in 1794 in the Lowlands
of Perthshire by Thomas Graham (afterwards Lord Lynedoch), the hero
of the brilliant victory of Barrossa in the Peninsular War. Their
steady courage at Mandora in the Abercromby Expedition
to Egypt was remarkable. The Battalion wore brass helmets, the only
head-dress available on embarkation, and were bravely charged by
the French horse, who mistook them for dismounted cavalry and were
In 1854 the 90th proceeded to the Crimea, and were present throughout
the assault of the Redan, where many fell, their bodies being afterwards
found in the place which marked the farthest limit of the British
advance. In the Indian Mutiny of 1857, the 90th added greatly to
its reputation by the numerous acts of gallantry performed by its
officers and men, and it was present at the relief of Lucknow.
In 1878 the 90th were employed in suppressing the Gaika Rebellion
in the Cape Colony, and fought under the temporary command of Colonel
Evelyn Wood, V.C., himself an Officer of the Regiment, and later
Field-Marshal Sir Evelyn Wood, V.C., G.C.B., G.C.M.G.
In 1899 the Boer War broke out, and the 90th - now the 2nd Battalion
of The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) - formed part of the Army under
Sir Redvers Buller, which, after much exertion brought relief to
their beseiged comrades at Ladysmith.
The 90th had the unique distinction of having produced three Field-Marshals
and Commanders-in-Chief of our Army -Lords Hill and Wolseley, and
Sir E. Wood, the third being in temporary command for a short time
when Adjutant-General. (The appointment of Commander-in-Chief of
the Army has now been abolished.)
It should also be mentioned that in the Boer War both militia
battalions volunteered for active service and rendered much valuable
aid. Nor were the Volunteer battalions of the regiment less zealous.
The service-companies furnished by them joined the regiment, and
shared the work and risks of their regular comrades.
Source: '300 Years of Service' published by the Regimental Trustees